Wednesday 11 May 2011

My FIRST Landscape Quilt - Stage I

Fine Wind, Clear Morning
Edo Period ( 1600-1868) Japanese woodblock print by
Katsushika Hokusai (1760-1849)
Indianapolis Museum of Art
Part of the Thirty-SIx Views of Mt Fuji Series

I saw this illustration and loved it - shame I did not see it myself but Les saw it when he was in Indianapolis last week 
Thought it would be ideal as a trial piece for a landscape quilt - so here is progress so far



The Fields of Mt Fuji - Satge I

So far I ahve pieced on a  foundation scrap - the sky, mountian and fields - in silks and cottons
  • The Sky is pinwhale corduroy with cream ribbed silk clouds - cut away and left with ragged edges to give the effect of puffy clouds
  • The mountain is in terracotta cotton with a crunkle silk dipdyed top
  • The fields are in various tie silks - to give an effect of fields but still echoing the originals shades of blue forests in the foreground
Then added padding and a backing fabric and machine quilted the major sections and clouds
Now shall add embroidery for the snow and detail on the fields and perhaps some beading as well - esp on the snow capped top

I might save machine embroidery for another project
So shall .............see what people think of it ...........

PS It never  ceases to amaze me how differnt things look when photographed!




No comments:

Post a Comment