Thursday 16 August 2012

Double sided damask throw

Upholstery weight reversible cotton damask

So what do you do when you have an odd piece of fabric and 4 cut trimming bits???
This is a cotton damask with a positive and negative side - and you cant decide which side to use - or how best to use it??
MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm she thinks ? 
....................waiting for that brainwave .............. 
Aha ...........
A reversible cover with contrast binding - uses ALL the fabric bits = no wastage and reduces the stash and makes best use of the reversible nature of the damask  .............. and replaces my damaged  cotton knit throw (wine spillage) 
BUT used the binding strips to highlight the pattern by putting a positive side with the negative and vice versa  - so each side has the contrasting binding - neat eh?? 

So this is what I did .................... just in case you are interested ......LOL 

Reversible cotton damask throw - all done! 
Well I might add big cotton and beaded tassels on the corners .......

Well I took the four trim pieces, cut and then re-pieced them (placing fabric front to back), then folded them to make binding for the bigger piece. Sewed each piece on (double check you have enough length and put them on shortest side first - unlike me  that sewed wrong sides first! Meant a bit of bodging ....ehhh hmmm) Also make sure you place the wrong side against a right side - so trim will contrast when folded out 
I did plain strips without mitering as I did not have enough length of trim 
I fringed the ends so as to reduce the bulk at the corners 

Here it is thrown over  the corner of my sofa

So a new sofa and throw all made from scraps and remnants, plus roll ends all of new fabric - now you can't make a cover as economically as that - well unless you recycle used fabric (which I have done in the past) 
So for less  than a £100 I have recovered the cushions for the sofa and its matching chair, plus a matching throw!
Now just think how much I would have had to pay someone to make them .................. hundreds of pounds!!

Now I can use my full rolls for jobs that require much bigger single pieces of fabric e.g. curtains
But I am still thinking on doing a patchwork chair .where each section is a different piece of fabric - again all in cream damasks ...............mmmmmmm oh dear may have to use these covers to get the necessary variety of fabrics ................. but that can easily be done as the covers can be easily taken apart if I need the fabric 

Ahhh now to make a cup of coffee and admire my latest efforts ............. :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment